Real Estate Agent – Contract Question

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    Question….I just came across another house (north of Sonoma area) and the owner has been trying (unsuccessfully) to sell his house with a real estate agent. The house is somewhat dilapidated (needs a lot of work) and they are not getting offers, etc.. So, now the owner wants to work with me. My question is, does he have to wait until his contract with his RE agent expires or can he bow out? Obviously, he can’t work with both of us at the same time. Look forward to your responses. Best, Anne

HI Anne

Personally, I would not get involved until the listing is either terminated or expires.

But, it is possible to both be involved at the same time if the seller tells the listing agent to remove the property from MLS. The seller would still be responsible for paying a commission to the listing agent (hopefully not a full 6%), so that will really cut in to your profit and/or make it not advantageous.
    Obviously, this agent has not done anything to help sell the house so it is a shame that they would get paid for YOUR efforts.

When does the listing expire?

Hi Jackie!

I agree, I don’t want to share commissions at all, especially with all the work I’ll put in it. The seller wasn’t sure exactly when it expired and will get back to me tomorrow after reviewing his contract. He’s almost 80 so he was a little confused with his contract expiration date. I’ll keep you posted this week and thank you for the quick reply! I’m learning so much as I go with this process…. 🙂

Hi Jackie,

I followed your advice and told him if he wanted my help he would need his realtors contract / listing to expire. He told me it expires next Friday (2/23), which is great! Once I get the ‘green light’, I will send him my contract and proceed from there. Keep you in the loop and thanks again for your feedback!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.