Tenant Death in Rental

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • One of my tour clients was found dead in the house he was renting in Panama. He had been dead about 7-10 days they think. So, it created a biohazard situation. Much of the furniture, curtains and other things in the house has be be burned. The ceiling has to be torn down and replaced. They will need to run an ozone machine in the house for 5 days to hopefully get the smell out.

The landlord send me an email asking for the family’s name and phone number to try to get them to pay for everything. The guy did not pay June rent and obviously no July rent either

This was a $450 a month fully furnished, all utilities included rental. The landlord has a $450 deposit but that is barely enough to cover all the expenses this unfortunate event has caused.

What would you do if this happened to you?

The landlord also asked if the tenant had renters insurance and she was hoping they would pay. I have no idea if renters insurance covers things like this and don’t know if he had it or not.

Interesting dilemma. Here’s a possible solution to head off identical disasters in the future. Total up all the damage and refurbing costs, and then find out what a 24/7-worn heart or health monitor costs — that’s set to signal local medical authorities in case of either a sudden heart attack (or similar life-threatening troubles) or a flat-out heart stoppage. Either could justify immediate intervention.

Now consider the negotiation: Mr/Ms tenant (who is up in years and perhaps vulnerable), would you rather put down a humongous-sized (refundable) deposit to cover the possible cleanup costs several weeks after discovery of your remains, OR would you rather wear a tiny health monitor on a pay-as-you-go 24/7 basis that could, in the event of a health emergency, send an immediate signal to local medical authorities who might be able to save your life — or in the worst case, respond quickly enough to prevent the financial burdensome cleanup and property refurbing costs if your demise is not discovered for several weeks?

Which do you think is a better deal for you?

Now I can’t say at what point, age, or health condition such choices ought to be offered. That could take some expert opinions from the medical community — to decide on criteria for when to offer such choices.

Or … if anyone has a better approach, they are most welcome to suggest it here.

—Dee

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.