The Year for Weird Real Estate

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • 2017 and this year have been my year for weird real estate stuff to happen. Things I’ve never heard of before and things that have never happened in 25 years of doing real estate.

You may recall that in April 2017 I sold a house with seller financing. The buyer REsold the house in June but the title company did not contact me for a pay off on my recorded lien so I was not paid at closing, It has been tied up in a lawsuit for 9 months. I learned that the title company has no fiduciary responsibility to pay off lenders at closing so you cannot go after them. I can only go after the lady who signed a note agreeing to pay me and the new buyers for the house (actually their title insurance — which is not good)

In the last month I’ve sold 3 houses. One should close next week but today I get a call from a title company that there is a problem with title. A 2nd lien showed up. I bought the house in 2002 subject-to the mortgage. But the lien , a forbearance lien, was created in 2003 but not recorded until 2010 for some crazy reason. The lien was for the lady who sold the house to me. They put the lien on the WRONG house. So that mess has to be cleared up before I can close.

What weird real estate stuff has happened to you? And lessons learned?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.