1099-INT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need to print and/or e-file a 1099-INT for a lender I used this year. This seems like a surprisingly hard problem to solve. You cannot use forms that you download from the IRS because these are not scannable. Strange, but true. I can buy 1099-INT forms from someplace like Office Depot.

What are you folks doing for this?

Hey Bill

My CPA does all that for me so I’m not much help.

Maybe TurboTax has the forms

Bill, your puzzle inspired a search on your topic. Here’s what I found:

from this 2009 link:
    https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsroom/tax-law/b/tax-policy-blog/archive/2009/02/02/don_2700_t-you-dare-download-that-form_2100_.aspx?Redirected=true

Excerpt:
    “Attention: This form is provided for informational purposes only. Copy A appears in red, similar to the official IRS form. Do not file copy A with the IRS. The official printed version of this IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from this website, is not. A penalty of $50 per information return may be imposed for filing forms that cannot be scanned. To order official IRS forms, call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or Order Information Returns and Employer Returns Online, and we’ll mail you the scannable forms and other products. See IRS Publications 1141, 1167, 1179 and other IRS resources for information about printing these tax forms.

The IRS policy of posting a non-scannable version of the 1099 and other forms on its website (Form 1096 is similarly non-scannable), is so magnificently idiotic that I doubt I can count all the ways, but I will try: …”

There’s more detail in that article, but you get the point.

–Dee

Hi Bill,
    Yes, the setup for 1099s is idiotic, but you do what you have to do. Some of the places I have found the scannable docs are libraries and the local IRS office. You may also look at post offices. These forms are usually free or low cost. There is even a place on the IRS.gov site where you can order forms for free and have them shipped to you, but they usually take 2 weeks to get to you. The ones at office supply stores are too expensive for just one or two. Whatever you do, just make sure you get the 1099-INT instead of another form. They all run together.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I paid for the convenience of getting it done tonight at this website:

https://www.tax1099.com/

I had looked into this a while ago and put it off to the last minute. Fortunately, my lender is okay with me not meeting that Jan 31st deadline.

There is also an toll free number with the IRS that you can order forms from. I will post it this weekend when I get back to the office. They are free of charge

Sorry,
    I dropped the ball. In my defense I have been out of town two weeks we had a massive blizzard last weekend and did not even try to venture back home.

IRS FORMS 1-800-829-3676

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.