Best type of flooring for rentals

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Couldn’t really find another section for this so figured I’d ask it here.

I have a condo that I purchased last year that I’m planning on living in for another few years before we start having kids and then the plan is for it to become a rental. It’s in a very desirable location that attracts people in their late 20’s/early 30’s and older couples without kids. This particular community is all 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condos with a handful of 1 bedroom 1 bath.

Anyway… I’m looking to get new flooring that we can enjoy but also make sense for renters. It’s in Orange County, CA so it never gets too cold or humid.

I was originally looking at bamboo or wood but I’ve been told it’s way more affordable and durable to get a laminate or vinyl flooring and seem to get a different opinion with every person I talk to so I figured I’d ask some folks with more rental experience.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

TILE!

Laminate floors have problems after about 5 years. Vinyl looks cheap.

You can get some nice looking tile for an affordalble price.

That was another option we were looking at. the only thing that dissuaded me a bit is cost to install. My flooring guy says that will be about double the price than a laminate and if I ever were to put new flooring in, demoing the tile would be a costly nightmare, wouldn’t it?

Totally agree on Vinyl, I’m not really into it but someone suggested it so figured I’d ask.

I was initially leaning toward laminate but your input is getting me thinking tile again.

Thanks!

I would not recommend laminate unless it is 12mm or higher. Depending on the value of the condo I would go with VPF. They have higher quality material that looks very good. I’m using VPF in the majority of my rentals and doing away with carpet even in the bedrooms. In higher end homes I am using solid oak in common areas and large 18″ tile in wet areas.

Converting all my rentals to tile as flooring is needed. A bit more expensive, however more resilient to renters.

The only one not going to tile is one with stained concrete slab on the ground floor and hardwood upstairs (after removing carpeting it was too pretty to cover).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.