Contracts and Forms And Lease Agreements

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The rules are different in every state about what?s required to be in your rental contracts.

The best place to get a rental contract is from your State Apartment Association

The Texas Apartment Association cost $100 a year to join and the contract is $1 each.
    Their legal eagles keep up with the new legislation and make changes to the contract for me plus I have them available if I have any questions.

Plus they have monthly classes about landlord issues ? the class is $12 and includes lunch.

It is important that your contract adhere to the laws of YOUR state. And that?s why just using a contract out of a book with no changes to it can really ? REALLY – get you in to a lot of trouble.

Here are some examples of things in a Texas lease agreement that probably would not be allowed in other states:

> Landlord lien — if the tenant does not pay, I can enter their property and take STUFF ( big screen tv, etc) to hold for the rent. If they still don’t pay, I can sell the stuff to get my money.

Can you do that in your state? Better find out — It would be considered a crime in most states.

> If my tenant does not pay then my notice must contain a toll free number where they can get free legal aid. ( another reason to stay away from lower priced rentals)

Is that required in your state?

> Tenant must opt in or opt out of having rental insurance – IN WRITING.

> Certain things in the Texas lease agreements must be in 14 point font, all CAPS and BOLD

This is required in Texas. Is it in your state?

These are just a few examples.

See why you just can’t take someone elses lease contract and use it in your state.

Now, that’s not to say that you can’t ADD additional things using addendums, etc….

Sure, most of the time, there won’t be any problem. But if you have to stand in front of a Judge because you have an eviction or some other tenant problem, The Judge will demand that you present your lease agreement.

If the lease agreement does not contain ALL the things required by YOUR STATE, then you LOSE the case.

Worst case scenario, you could be fined for entering in to a contract that does not have the proper clauses and notifications.

It is REALLY important to use agreements that comply with YOUR state rules and regulations.

And it is why any forms which are supplied by CREW are SAMPLES ONLY and not to be used “AS IS”. They need to be reviewed by an attorney in your state.

Yea, you can find free forms at other web sites. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD USE THEM!!!! You can also find a lot of really BAD real estate investing at other web sites.

At CREW, we are dedicated to helping you learn how to do real estate investing the RIGHT WAY!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.