Executing actual selling-financed wrap mortgage

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So we have been researching the seller financing wrap mortgage concept. Using this example- our question is what is the process of the actual execution once the deal has been made?
    EX:
    George bought a house in 2017 for $385,000 at 4%. He sells the house for $430,000 at 7% interest. The highest bidder sale (for down payment) gives him 10% ($43,000). So buyer has a new mortgage on the house of $387,000 at 7%. So George makes 7% on $2,000, in addition to a 3% spread on the original loan value of $385,000. Are we tracking this correctly? How frequently do the sellers change the percentage rate? Is this common practice?

Questions:

1/ Does the new buyer go to a mortgage company with these new terms and say this is what I need a loan for? How does the execution of loan actually work to get the buyer to make the payments to get the seller the money they need? Ideally if you can break it down into bullet points or flow chart- it would help immensely.

Paul,

Here’s a question — where are you in this transaction?

FIRST: When dealing with owner/occupants make sure you are protected 6-ways from Sunday. Emotional owner/occ’s get upset when they see you’ve made $$ on their home. See lawyers full employment act!

First things first — make sure you disclose everything to ALL parties.
    See the above lawyers reference.

Make sure you are making enough profit to make this worth the risk and to compensate you for your time / expertise.

Your explanation of the interest rate spread seems right.

An option at the current loan balance may be one way to get you in the deal without having any liability after it closes.
    Because if/when things go sideways down the road, you don’t want to be in the chain of title.

Let’s say its a go — the buyers will be paying the seller or a 3rd party company to collect their payment @7%, disburse the proceeds to the bank @4% and the seller for the difference. The 3rd party company also pays the property taxes, HOA / homeowners insurance.

The buyers must know the bank has the right to call the 4% loan due to a transfer of title. I’ve not personally seen this happen due to anything other than non-payment.

— after a certain period of time, say 3-5 years, the buyers will be seeking a new mortgage to refinance their 7% loan, assuming the equity and credit are in good standing.

The existing 4% loan will be paid off with the refinancing, the seller with the help of a title company, will collect the difference between the 7% note and the 4% bank loan.

I’m not clear on your question about the sellers changing the interest rate. If you mean they raise the rate during the period the buyer is making the payments @7%, they normally do not. It just complicates the deal. Homeowners want clean and simple.

Hope this helps,

Mike

PS – Jackie, how would you respond?

Included with your membership are several Special Reports – see the one titled Buying Subject To – it explains in detail how to do a wrap and includes sample paperwork.

To get to the Special Reports, after you log in, look on the LEFT side for the Special Report link.

When doing a subject to wrap, the buyer does NOT get a new mortgage from a mortgage company. But they will have a note/mortgage and a recorded deed of Trust which spells out the terms of the wrap mortgage.

The title company or escrow office will create all the necessary documents to protect all parties.

The Special Report will help you understand the process better.

Like Mike said, unless then is plenty of “skin in the game” it is not worth your time to get involved with a transaction.

Sometimes, it is better to just get an Option then sell your option or do a Highest Bidder Sale. Get in, get out quickly instead of staying in the middle of a transaction where there is little equity and little cash flow.

It’s not about doing deals… it is about doing QUALITY deals.. and I prefer less risky transactions too.

Sometimes we spend too much time on something that we should just walk away from so it frees up time to work on better transactions.

10% equity is a skinny deal.

Thank you Mike and Jackie. Great info. Makes a huge difference knowing that the Title Company will generate that paperwork for you.

In your book Jackie, you mention multiple lead generating strategies, which all include stating that you can purchase properties and close fast. Is the idea to get sellers calling you so that you can make offers with Seller financing or just doing a HBS? Is it illegal to state that you will sell someone’s house in 7 days, due to the fact that you are not a broker? Just wondering why you don’t explicitly state that you can sell their house in seven days? Seems like you have to be more indirect because you are not a licensed real estate agent.

-Paul Klaas

HI Paul

I advertise “Sell Your House In 7 Days” because I’m the BUYER. I will write a contract to buy their house immediately and guarantee that I can close within 7 days. Sometimes I’m buying for cash, sometimes subject-to the mortgage, sometimes with seller financing, sometimes a master lease. You always need a lot of tools in your tool box so you can solve real estate problems in a variety of ways.

I never advertise “I will sell your house in 7 days”, I advertise “sell your house in 7 days” Big difference.

But sometimes, it is not a house I want to buy, or the price will not work for me, so I tell the sellers that their house will not work for what I’m looking for but if I can get a contract to buy their house, I will find someone else to either buy my contract or the house. I explain the Highest Bidder Sale method, if it is a good strategy for their house but sometimes I use other techniques to get it sold quickly. Because I have a contract on the property, I have an equitable interest which I can market. I’m NOT acting as a broker who works on a small commission basis. I’m always acting as a principal in the transaction.

The objective of all marketing is to get the sellers to call me. When they see my postcard that says “Sell Your House in 7 Days” or the signs on my truck or ads online, if they need to sell fast, they will call me. Of course, you get the people calling who need full price and all cash too. Sometimes I can convert them to a master lease or highest bidder sale but sometimes they are totally unrealistic and just need to work with an agent with a 6-12 months listing to find out that their house will not sell at the crazy price they want to get. After that 6-12 month listing with no sale, they often come back to me for a 7 day solution!!!

HI Paul

I advertise “Sell Your House In 7 Days” because I’m the BUYER. I will write a contract to buy their house immediately and guarantee that I can close within 7 days. Sometimes I’m buying for cash, sometimes subject-to the mortgage, sometimes with seller financing, sometimes a master lease. You always need a lot of tools in your tool box so you can solve real estate problems in a variety of ways.

I never advertise “I will sell your house in 7 days”, I advertise “sell your house in 7 days” Big difference.

But sometimes, it is not a house I want to buy, or the price will not work for me, so I tell the sellers that their house will not work for what I’m looking for but if I can get a contract to buy their house, I will find someone else to either buy my contract or the house. I explain the Highest Bidder Sale method, if it is a good strategy for their house but sometimes I use other techniques to get it sold quickly. Because I have a contract on the property, I have an equitable interest which I can market. I’m NOT acting as a broker who works on a small commission basis. I’m always acting as a principal in the transaction.

The objective of all marketing is to get the sellers to call me. When they see my postcard that says “Sell Your House in 7 Days” or the signs on my truck or ads online, if they need to sell fast, they will call me. Of course, you get the people calling who need full price and all cash too. Sometimes I can convert them to a master lease or highest bidder sale but sometimes they are totally unrealistic and just need to work with an agent with a 6-12 months listing to find out that their house will not sell at the crazy price they want to get. After that 6-12 month listing with no sale, they often come back to me for a 7 day solution!!!

Wow, Jackie!

That’s a great example of a “blog post as seminar”.

Mike W

Thanks Mike.. and it is the reason when people send me an email asking a question I always say PLEASE post the question in the Community Forum so everyone can benefit from the answers from me and other members. Instead of helping 1 person, I prefer to help as many as possible with the information!

Thank you Jackie!

V/r,
    Paul Klaas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.