finding owners

Posted in Options

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ok so I have a few homes and a list of cash buyers ready to deal. I have three home that I would like to get under contract but I’m having trouble finding the owners. I have tried a few things such as…

1. I sent a hand written note/postcard to the address where tax bill goes.
    2. Looked up their first/last name on YP.com and several other people finder sites only to come up with phone numbers that don’t work.
    3. Talked to neighbors that didn’t know the whereabouts or who the owner is.

I am thinking of sending another letter with a return receipt or signature required to receive. I don’t know what else to do to find these owners. Any ideas? It seems once I find the owners I generaly have a chance to write up a contract.

Hi,

I would contact your credit bureau and ask their assistance. I know mine has a skip trace at the very least. They may have some suggestions.
    I might go down to city hall and start asking around if any one knows how to get a hold of the owner.

Don Wede

Don, isn’t information on credit reports confidential?

They provide other services other than just credit reports. A skip trace may be of benefit. Tell them what your situation is and see if they can help.
    Don Wede

You may also want to see when the home was purchased. If it was after ’04, or thereabouts, the owners have most likely abandoned the house due to a loss in value, payments in arrears or both. If that is the case there is not enough equity to pursue, and if an institutional lender holds the note they will not even talk to you until the house has traveled through the system.

Stick a WE BUY HOUSES sign in the front yard of the house. That often gets a phone call from the owner quickly.

Norman is right, if the deed date is newer than 04 there is no equity and it takes a long time for it to show up that it belongs to the bank. The bank may still be in the foreclosure process which can take forever

Oh, I do so like that idea Jackie, that’s a real keeper. Seems like frequently the owner doesn’t want the bother, due to age, health, etc, and a neighbor or relative is ‘keeping watch’ over the property ….. bet that sign in the yard gets a response.

In a similar vein, when I am able to locate an owner I send a current photograph of the property with my letter, that shakes things up. I haven’t scored with this yet, but a good photo of the over-grown yard and the gutters falling off does put a big dent in that “out of sight, out of mind” complacency.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.