Land Trust and Working with County

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Moving this here to hopefully get a response:

Although I have yet to use an actual Land Trust (ie: Virginia Land Trust), I get the basic formula of having a property Titled into the Trust, with the Trustee being in Virginia. I have used Personal Property Trusts, with the Trustee being local.

My questions are this:

If I live on a property that is held in a Land Trust, I assume that I can be the “Tenant” living there, since I am not the owner. I’m good with that…

With me being a “non-owner” of that property, how would I go about building an addition or doing some other work on the property that requires getting a building permit with the County ?

If, lets say that Earl Lawrence is my Virginia Land Trust, Trustee, how would I go about getting the needed permit to do the work with the property being in Washington State ? I certainly wouldn’t want to fly him out to sign permit applications as the Trustee. Would a “Power of Attorney” work in this case ?

I’m just trying to think about staying under the radar and not having my name show up anywhere on paperwork that could be searched, and still be able to get the necessary work done, which requires fees being paid and signatures on the permit application.

How do others in this group deal with this issue ?

i have always represented myself to the county as the owner. not the owner of record, but the owner of all financial benefits and liabilities that pertain to the property. a quick explanation has always worked in my county. worst case, you could probably show the county official the pertinent page of the trust.

Thank you Chan !

I also heard from Earl, and he recommended using a Power of Attorney. Also, if one wanted to stay under the radar for signatures on permit documents, the Power of Attorney could be someone else that I know and trust; someone not related to me or the property. This way, my name would not show up on anything if a search was done.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.