Property tax revaluations by the county – take early action if you disagree with the county

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • A couple days ago the local paper notified our community that proposed property tax valuations for 2012 would be available online after noon on Monday. I checked the new valuations for my properties and all went down except for my worst property which went up by 25%. Something wasn’t right to me. A note on the website asked people to go to the tax assessors office within 10 days if we thought the proposed taxes were in error.

Since I was in the area of the tax assessor office this morning, I stopped in. After a quick discussion with the front desk team and then the county’s assistant tax assessor, he explained how they used the last good info (please don’t laugh here – an MLS listing and photo from 2007 about a year prior to when I purchased the property using Jackie’s 3 offer strategy) and then he reduced the tax valuation to basically what it is now.

And, he thanked me for coming in before they had gone final on valuations. He explained that by my going in to the office to talk to him now, he was able to make the change without additional paperwork. It was a breeze compared to stories I’ve heard about after tax valuations are made final.

Hope this works as easily for others as it did for me. Don’t delay if you know of new proposed tax valuations.

Great advice Hank
    I’d add, always fight an increase in valuations if you plan to keep the house. They will almost always reduce the price. The savings in taxes can be substantial.

But if you plan to sell the house soon, the higher valuation may help you sell for MORE.

Jackie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.