Property Viewing Safety

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hello again, sorry for so many questions but this is all an entirely new world to me and I need all the hand-holding I can get :D

So I have my buyers list (or at least enough possibilities to get started) and will start hunting for properties ASAP. As a single woman, I’m concerned about personal safety when going to look at homes without the intermediary of an agent. The only resources I’ve seen about safety awareness among realtors is from the seller’s perspective (or an agent hosting an open house), not the buyer who is viewing the home. Obviously, common sense goes a long way; but are there any precautions unique to the situation that I can take? Would it be strange or unprofessional to bring a third party to accompany me who has no involvement in the deal? Do I need to be there with my buyer when they go to see the house for themselves? My concern is that if I go the lockbox route, they might be tempted to go around me and buy directly from the seller for a better price.

My corollary to the above is more about logistics of the closing process— do we all need to be there at the same time? I am already envisioning nightmares of trying to coordinate how to get to a title office convenient to no one, all on the same day . . . :crazy:

Can y’all tell I think about things way too much? :blush:

Thanks again everyone!

— S.

just my two cents on the safety issue. You can certainly bring a third party with you to show a property, but it might not always be practical to do so.

I always carry in a heavy Magnalite flashlight. I know plenty of people who carry a gun (with a proper concealed carry permit of course). I also have my cell phone and my car fob with my finger on the alarm button.

Others really prefer not to be there at all. As far as a Buyer going around you to make the purchase directly, be sure to have a very good signed contract (I’m sure there are some examples on the CFD website). If everything is properly documented and signed with consideration, you would be holding your Seller to the contract, and they would be breaching that contract by going around you.

As far as a double closing, the parties are generally kept separate and have separate closing times to avoid any awkward situations.

I hope some of this helps. You’re asking good questions!

Debbie

That is a great idea with the flashlight and car alarm— it even makes sense on a practical level for looking around cabinets/ under sinks and such.

Now my next step is actually getting out there and finding some properties!

Thanks for the ideas!

— S.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.