REO/Foreclosures

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Does anyone have any experience navigating through banks and financial institutions when dealing with foreclosed properties? I am looking at a fire damaged property that went to auction on the courthouse steps but since no one would bid for the price they had it appraised at the lending institution took the property back. When I call their REO department, they cannot find a listing for the property in their database and so they send me into a phone tree bouncing back and forth between two different departments each of which has no listing for the property in question. Any thoughts on alternative ways to approach it?

Hi Jeff

Almost all banks and mortgage companies have a relationship with a real estate agent who gets all their REO listings. If it was an FHA loan on the property, it will be listed on the HUD foreclosure websites. It is not impossible, but harder to buy houses directly from the banks/mortgage company anymore. You are forced to go through the middle person.

When a bank or mortgage company has a LOT of foreclosed properties on the books, they will sometimes sell several $1,000,000 +++ of them as a package deal – these are usually snapped up by hedge funds who cherry pick the best them dump the rest.

It is always always better to get to a property when you can deal with the owner directly and avoid banks, real estate agents, and competition at auctions or with hedge funds.

All fire damage properties are posted as a Code Violation. So you can get the Code Violation list – or just follow the daily police reports for fires – to learn about these properties much earlier in the process.

Thanks, Jackie. I’ve had some luck dealing with REO properties before but never been in this situation where they have no record of the house. However, keep an eye out on the HUD store.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.