Sec 8 $$ for MHs now

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    From the MFGhome.org website:

http://www.manufacturedhousing.org/webdocs/Housing%20Opportunity%20Act%20press%20release%20final.pdf

My head is spinning while trying to visualize all the market distortions this will create, both financial and legal….

–Dee

This is horrible!

Your tax dollars at working helping people who are too lazy to work.

Jackie, I’ve had ENOUGH. How do I get my wife to consider moving to Panama!!? Maybe a Panama Relocation Tour disguised as a vacation?

Mike, here’s a strategy. Find out from Jackie what the minimum size business is that you can establish in Panama — so that you can deduct the cost of that trip.

Now I’ll sit back to let the experts pick holes in that approach. [grin]

–Dee

Dee, I’m a real estate investor. I have no problem in being able to write off the trip. ;-) My problem is trying to get her to consider moving to Panama. I’ve been married to this lady for 41 years and I know how ‘subtle’ I have to be and use every ‘marketing technique’ I’ve ever learned. ;-)

ha ha Mike – I had ENOUGH about 6 years ago and moved to Panama. It was the best thing I ever did.

You don’t have to tell your wife that you want to move to Panama. Just tell her you want to see where I live and that you’ve heard there are some incredible investment opportunities here. Once she’s on the tour and sees what her life could be like living in Panama, she will be the one begging you to move to Panama. It happens every month.

The good news about investing in Panama – there is NO COMPETITION!!!! There is so much opportunity here.

But even more importantly… THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY!!! People in Panama would never accept food stamps, unemployment, section 8 housing, welfare, etc. They are way too proud to do that. They believe in a honest days work for an honest days pay. (remember those days)

And if that’s not enough, let your wife know all the ways you can save money in Panama

see this article

http://panamarelocationtours.com/live-for-less-in-panama

Plus I’m offering 10% off the November 12-17th tour and could do a CashFlowDepot special for more savings.

You have no idea what you are missing!

Mike, I claim zero expertise in the “subtle marketing” area you referenced. I only know some of the basics about why a few of my ancestors made the leap to cross the Atlantic to come here in the first place. The most recent ones learned in January of 1874 that they were about to lose their exemption (in the Ukraine) from the Russian army draft, and would lose the right to run their own schools in their German language. That was enough that a third of their community had picked up, and landed in this country via four ships by that fall. One of the descendants of those who didn’t leave wrote a letter to my Kansas hometown newspaper in 1933 describing how Stalin had confiscated that year’s crops (that forced starvation of millions, called the Holodomor), how people were dying in the streets from starvation, and how he pulled up a cowskin rug to boil pieces of the leather so that each day there might a little something to eat.

So am I extremely grateful that my ancestors picked up and boogied out of Dodge when they did? You betcha.

Now that’s about as extreme a case as it could get. But people tend to learn better from the grossly extreme, though far less frequent, examples. My people were strongly motivated to get away from where they were. They didn’t even make a decision until after they arrived in New York City as to what state to head for. One of my great grandmother and grandfather pairs settled in South Dakota, but after a few years of prairie fires, terrible floods, and blizzards, picked up and moved south a few hundred miles. (There were no Jackie Relocation Tours in 1874.)

The 2/3 of that community in the Ukraine who remained suffered through the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution, the fighting that continued through the early 1920s, the Stalin-ordered starvation of the early 1930s, and the German invasion during WWII, where they were trusted by neither side. Many were deported to Siberia. Those families were not motivated to move when they still had the chance. And that’s a big issue. If somebody is determined not to move, the destination doesn’t seem to matter much. If they’re REALLY motivated to move, many different destinations are possibilities.

A few years back, I borrowed a look (via interlibrary loan) at a tremendous book by Dr Thomas Sowell titled Migrations and Cultures (1996, still on Amazon for full ISBN and description) in which he described the experiences of several large cultures in world history who had made major migrations to places all over the world. My own interest at that time was in the Germanic groups, and how they fared once into Canada, the US, Central and Latin America.

If you want a really spooky list of issue motivators, this August 2nd article by Mike Adams has that:

http://www.naturalnews.com/054857_rigged_elections_fake_media_fairy_tales.html

OK, while I’d have to confess to being pretty good at “finding things,” I can’t claim any special expertise in choosing what’s important to other people’s choices or what motivates them down deep. That’s everybody’s own challenge in their “pursuit of happiness.”

I was not a world history major. Perhaps as a result, I’ve been more fascinated by the occasional discovery here and there from long ago that somehow seems relevant to today. That includes stories of groups of people who felt threatened by whatever or whoever, and whether they picked up and got out of Dodge, or whether they dug in and determined to stick it out, come hell or high water. A few years back, there was a botched TV series about the Jewish group that holed up on a mountaintop retreat that King Herod had built. The Jews called it Masada, meaning fortress(which the show couldn’t be bothered to explain). There was only one difficult way in and out, a great water supply and years of food supplies. The Romans surrounded Masada, and spent a couple of years literally building a huge long dirt ramp so they call haul in their huge siege machines. They wanted to leave no examples of any cultures resisting the Roman system. So near the end, as the siege machines were closing in, the Jews agreed to commit mass suicide, rather than live under Roman slavery. The TV show concealed the fact that the Jews deliberately left plenty of their food stores untouched — to leave a message for the world that they had not been starved out, but refused to live as slaves.

The amazingly contrasting PBS TV episode recently was about Machu Picchu in Peru, that the Inca leadership had spent perhaps a hundred years building along the top of a mountain ridge in the 1500s. They had built enough stonework to house around a thousand people, with plenty of farm and garden land on one side opposite the housing, and a mountain spring water supply from a half mile away sufficient to provide up to 15 gallons per person per day, and a sewer system to separately carry away all wastes. Again, there was only one very narrow and easy to defend way through a tunnel into their mountain fortress. They could have held out for years. Yet at some point, with knowledge of the Spanish invasion and its overwhelming numbers, they completed abandoned Machu Picchu even after all that century of work, and “got out of Dodge.” I’m sure that many many of their descendants are still living in Peru today.

It’s not difficult to make a case for cultivating portable skills, assets, funds, language abilities, and mindsets. There are lots of stories especially from Jewish history where they were forbidden to engage in many of the “fixed asset” businesses, and so they learned many more portable professions whether in medicine, finance, the sciences, etc. Today the emergence of the internet has exploded the number and variety of such ways to make a living.

It’s also easy to understand the several reasons why people choose to “dig in” and stay put, whether from age, or local familial loyalties, or lack of assets, or whatever. People are complex.

Enough of my rambling. Mike, I wish you the best in whatever direction you pursue.

–Dee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.