Section 8 Rentals

Posted in Master Lease

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Do you rent to Section 8 tenants? Why or why not? What are some things to beware of?

I was emailed a question about Section 8 houses today. I have never, and would never, rent to Section 8 tenants so I could not answer the question.

Hopefully we can get more insights from the CFD family.

We love Section 8 tenants. The rent comes like clockwork, the tenants take care of the property–they don’t want to lose their gravy train. The annual inspection of the property makes sure we see areas that need attention–tenants won’t always tell you about them because they don’t want to cause problems. We have had good success with them. ANd we can get a rent raise annually without a lot of concern. It also doesn’t hurt to feel good about providing a clean, habitable home for children who otherwise might not have one.

I would never rent to Section 8. One morning I could wake up and financial life could be eroded by the stroke of some bureaucratic pen. Rents could be set at some unreasonable rate. The program may be squashed. The politicians could put all kinds of demands on property condition. I may be forced to rent to someone I would never want to rent to before. I could go on and on. I do not want to get into bed with Federal State and Local Government. I think I rather get out of the business. I do not like the general, not all but general, mentality of a tenant who feels in-tiled and embolden that they are owed something.
    Don Wede

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.