Trouble Getting Code Enforcement List

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • I don’t live in a Major city and when i first called both the City and the County Code Enforcement Office, i was informed by both people i ended up talking to that they didn’t keep a list of code violations. How have other people gotten these lists? Could i do a Freedom of Information Request? or would that just aggravate them?

I have had the same problem. The fools in my town bureaucracy don’t know that I am willing to help them clean up their town–for a profit. I tried a few times and then moved on to something else. I did a FOIA but the city attorney shot me down. Morons. I can’t believe for a town my size that they don’t keep a list of code violations. How can they be so inefficient? I believe I am being lied to.

Mistake #1 – you made a phone call to get the list. You should always GO IN TO THEIR OFFICE – do not call first

Mistake #2 – you let them stop you in your tracks without further investigation.

You can be sure that each code inspector has a list of properties that are on their route each day. Some are new and some have been on the list for a long time that they need to check on. So… what’s the solution? Follow a code enforcement person around and talk to THEM instead of the $8 person who answers the phone

MISTAKE #3 – you did not find out when and where the code enforcement properties are published in local newspapers. Every city is required to post the information in the legal section of a newspaper. Which paper? When is it published? Who do they send the list to? Find out that info, the USING THE BACK DOOR APPROACH – contact the newspaper to see if they will send you their list when they get it. Also find out from the newspaper how you can see previously published lists.

MISTAKE #4 – You did not get information about the code enforcement process in your town. Most towns have a “hearing” each month. the people with violations are are sent a subpeona to appear at the hearing. That means there is a room full of people with code violations at one place at one time – many are very motivated but they think no one would want their house because it is such a mess. You should go to the hearing WITH CONTRACTS. It does not matter what price you put on the contract – it should just be an option contract with a contingency that the purchase is subject to an inspection and approval. You can negotiate price later, after you see it

never let a no stop you from getting what you want.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.