VIDEO: You’ve Got to Jump

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILVFRlUtT8

Steve Harvey is an upbeat guy whose heart is almost always in the right place. He would be very hard to dislike. And his focus on the use of passion for what you do is a ?big deal.? If you don?t have the passion for something, the odds are that if you don?t develop that passion for something you take on, that pursuit will wear out its welcome in your psyche and you?ll tire of putting in the hours and effort needed for real success. But I think there?s more to the puzzle.

Some people have the passion for whatever, but don?t have, or can?t develop, the skill set needed to implement in that field. An example might be someone trying out a ?people business? who turns people off repeatedly, who comes across as untrustworthy even if s/he is totally honest, who can?t read people, etc, etc.

Some have, or can develop, that skill set, but don?t have, and will never develop the matching passion. An example might be a Wall Street broker who discovers the business requires that s/he be regularly dishonest with clients.

Others might have both, but a combination of unfavorable or really treacherous market conditions (a lack of demand, or overwhelming competition, or high risk conditions that turn even little blunders into financial catastrophes [a very good reason to explore with Jackie?s low risk strategies]) can turn that first big ?Jump? of Steve?s into a horrible tragedy. I?ve mentioned this story before about a lady whose family mortgaged their entire section of Arizona land to fund the construction of a Las Vegas high-rise — just before the last highly predictable Federal Reserve engineered financial crash, in which they lost everything when the bank foreclosed on the doomed project. She bought into the ?gotta be an action taker? siren song, having no understanding of the business cycle history and pitfalls.

My point is that while Steve is absolutely correct about the need for passion in your pursuit, he doesn?t mention that sometimes passion can be developed after exploring a new pursuit. Also he doesn?t connect it to your existing, or possibly developable skill set, nor to however receptive the market conditions are to your particular pursuit.

I remember the days when the ?What Color is Your Parachute?? book focused on your passion, but without much attention on skill set or market conditions. Eventually some of the better career counselors figured out that all three really matter. To give Steve proper credit, his enthusiasm for the passion issue is a great place to begin your exploration of any pursuit.

–Dee

A good friend of mine this morning sent me a quote from Vince Lombardi:

“If you are not fired with enthusiasm,
    you will be fired with enthusiasm.”

— Vince Lombardi,
    coach

That seems to me to apply — even if you have to be the person doing your own firing, because of a pursuit that you ultimately discover your heart is simply not in. So Steve Harvey’s emphasis on passion is not misplaced, even though it’s part of a larger picture.

–Dee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.