Largest Texas assisted living facility shuts down on short notice — Fort Worth

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    117 residents scramble to find new places to live, because of Medicaid cutbacks:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fort-Worth-Assisted-Living-Facility-for-People-on-Medicaid-Closing-435903773.html

This story made me wonder if the same thing was happening elsewhere in the country, so I ran a search, and several other such stories popped up, including some where very small ALFs couldn’t keep their staff from being hired away by much larger and far better paying hospitals.

So the question I don’t have a good answer for is ….. is the business model for small ALFs (Assisted Living Facilities) crumbling away?

–Dee

The small ALF model is still very valid. Most small medical facilities will not take medicaid or medicare. They are private pay or will take long term care insurance only.

In the last couple of weeks I have had to learn a lot about assisted living because of my husband’s medical condition. First I discovered that is is very hard to find a “good” residential care home that has an opening. They are all full. Second I discovered that the larger places have openings and what appears to be a better price than residential care but when you get more details you learn that the larger places upcharge you for just about everything. You only get a room and meals. That’s about it at their base price.

Jackie, thank you very much for your explanation. I was especially concerned since you’re having Dr. Robert King with his assisted living facility training on your Tuesday call for Aug 1st.

Here’s another argument in favor of the smaller ALF. In the town where I live, there’s a rather sizeable ALF with considerable staff. The residents have nearly zero privacy and no good way to lock up valuables. So some of the staff makes a regular practice of stealing things from those residents, especially gifts that come in. It’s disgusting. This is what I hear from a friend who visits some of those residents regularly. I would think that the smaller ALFs would have a much easier time detecting and correcting such rotten behavior.

–Dee

A smaller ALF would certainly be preferred IF you can find one that has an opening. The opportunities for this is H-U-G-E. I have had the unfortunate opportunity to discover how much this is needed in the last month. Most ALFs are full and have waiting lists.

I think if anyone opened up a residential ALF, it would be full within a week or two… if it has competitively.

I highly recommend that people take the time to visit some of the smaller ALFs and large institutional ALFs to see what the difference is.

Because of my personal experience,, I searched high and low to find “affordable” training with no upsells and no expensive coaching.

I also discovered that most residential assisted living homes do not even have a website.

Too many ALFs rely on lead generation websites like
    aplaceformom or senior living to find their residents. You have to go through a stupid maze to get any information.

The big institutional places have a website – but very little information online. You have to call each one to get any information.

It is darn frustrating for people who need to find an ALF.

Here’s another one of those probably frustrating websites like you mentioned:

https://www.caring.com

–Dee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.