Magnetic Signs — Phone Extensions

Posted in Marketing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • I’m reading through the Mega Lead Generator and specifically looking into the passive ads idea. With this idea, you buy magnetic signs that are placed on cars. Your goal is to have people call to a phone number with a specific extension. The extension is what connects the bird dog with the lead.

My question is: what virtual phone provider have people used? Is it Ring Central? What else is out there that can affordably get the job done.

While I’m here, if anyone has done this, I’d be interested in what your signs have said and how much you paid for them. It seems like they must be customized to each have the specific extension for the phone number. As in, they might say, “Call ###-###-#### Ext: 1## where the extension would vary per sign (e.g. 101, 102, 103, etc.)

I paid about $30 a set for magnetic signs at a local sign shop. I did not have the sign company put the extension # on the signs,s instead I wrote them in with a fat magic marker.

I can tell you that 50% of the time, sellers will not remember the extension #, but they will remember that it was a red pick up or a blue mini-van. So, It is important to get the make, model and color of the car that corresponds with the #

Here’s an addendum to Jackie’s thoughts on extension numbers on magnetic signs. There are a couple of ways to make such extension numbers easily changeable or replaceable:

1, If you want to use different extension numbers from time to time, or even different phone numbers, etc., it’s easy to cut strips from blanks of the same background color of magnetic sign as you had commercially printed (or made up by hand), just large enough to accommodate your extension number (or entire phone number + extension number), and slap that temporary strip onto the right place (that you’ve planned for) in your reusable sign. If you want a little extra tiedown security, some clear packing tape strips can give you a little more peace of mind, and it’s easy to remove.

2. A second method involves an easy, but little-known way to remove almost any kind of marking, whether from a commercial printer or from a Magic Marker, or even from a Sharpie marker. Every WalMart carries cans of an old fashioned cleaner (oxalic acid in white powder form, that dates since 1882) called Bar Keepers Friend (white lettering on a dark blue background). Wet down your green scrubbie pad with a little water, sop up a little BKP powder, and scrub away on whatever markings you want to remove. I’ve also sometimes had good luck with cotton balls, if the chemistry of the marking wasn’t too stubborn. You’ll know the job’s done when you can wash off all remaining residue with a little water and light scrubbing. I’ve even been able to recycle entire commercially printed magnetic signs using the scrubbie and BKP method. With a little practice, you’ll quickly learn what works best for the kind of printing or marker-made lettering you’re dealing with. Even if your use of this BKP method is limited to just a few piddly slap-on magnetic extension number pads you’ve neatly cut, you’ll be astounded at the technique.

–Dee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.