MySpace

Posted in Marketing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • It was suggested in the “High Volume Wholesale” seminar that MySpace is a great place to interact with other investors lets say in your state. I set up an account. I have no idea once I got on there how to link up with other Real Estate Investors in Illinois. Can anyone help? I know pathetic but I am 63. Just don’t get all this social media stuff at first. Still don’t get Facebook either.

Don, take a look at this history plus current status of MySpace:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myspace

Excerpts like this:

“Myspace has attempted to redefine itself as a social entertainment website, with more of a focus on music, movies, celebrities, and TV, instead of a social networking website.”

“In May 2016, the data for almost 360 million MySpace accounts was offered on the “Real Deal” dark market website. The leaked data included email addresses, usernames and weakly encrypted passwords … analysis of the data suggests it was exposed eight years before being made public…”

all help to explain why this is the first time I’ve ever heard any discussion of MySpace as a place to meet investors. If you can find any more promising hints of that in the Wikipedia writeup, you’re doing better than I could.

–Dee

Thanks Dee
    That seminar I think was recorded about 10 years ago. I guess things change quite a bit in social media. Any social media platforms that connects Real Estate investors that you know of?

Don, probably Linkedin, to answer your question — which I bailed out of (long before Microsoft bought them) because Linkedin had (and has) a nasty habit of sending “invitation to join” emails in members’ name WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE (let alone permission) to all kinds of people, on or off of Linkedin. Several people I know had their names used to send me LI emails — to a private email address of mine which Linkedin was not supposed to have. When I asked them about it, they said they had nothing to do with those emails, but knew of no way to stop them. A couple of them were not even on Linkedin, but either had business or relative relationships with me. When Microsoft took over (for which I have long-running contempt [ever since the DOS days] for their ever-present dishonesty), I figured things could only get worse.

I know Linkedin does have an investor community, but if you have any kind of real estate investor club within reasonable driving distance, you can probably avoid the social media crowd — if you need to raise funds. If you need more than your local crowd can or will raise, there are always nationwide organizations like Lee Arnold has, headquartered in Idaho. His CogoCapital website could get you started:

https://cogocapital.com/

That could be very practical, especially if you ease into virtual deals across the country.

–Dee

As is the case with a lot of our content on here, you have to weed through some of it to separate the evergreen content from the dated content. If I have the timeline right, the High Volume Wholesaler seminar is about 10 years old now.

Any kind of marketing approach involving the Internet that was mentioned needs to heavily scrutinized as the world and the Internet are very different 10 years later. MySpace was popular and effective then, but is long gone now. In its place are Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites. Search Engine Optimization is very different as well.

My takeaways when listening to this content are to project out the concepts into the current world and technology alternatives available. Jackie was on the cutting edge back then, but you wouldn’t build exactly what she’s talking about now.

Having said all this, I’ve only made it to part 4, so am not really sure what all was said about MySpace, but I would expect it would have to be quite dated.

Bill

Bill when you get to the MySpace section you will see it was quite a thing along with eBay. All that aside great content. One good idea that has been stressed by all of my teachers over the years is to add something to the deal to stand out and be different. I my case it’s going to be cash for one.

In my area, people use Facebook Groups a lot. However, I’ll admit that I don’t love it.

People find houses first and then post them looking for a buyer. And people will leave their email addresses in the comments. I really feel like you want to get your buyers list first and maybe have just a few that you work with. The shotgun approach of posting on Facebook doesn’t seem conducive to this.

That all said, it’s pretty easy to scrape up a bunch of email addresses for buyers. You could then invite them to take an onlne survey where you’d learn what they are looking for and where. Then you have them properly on your list and can find houses based upon this qualified information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.