Performance based note

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Has anyone sold anything on a performance note?
    I am thinking about selling a business on a PBN with the following terms.
    10 year term for 50% of the profits then 25% for the next 5. Does anyone have any language example for this type of note?
    Thanks in advance

John in Frisco

John, I’m thinking that one of the greatest risks might be that your buyer has some undefined incentive to under-report whatever varying profits that will be made. Different types of businesses offer different kinds of opportunities for such under-reporting. (As an example, the movie, recordings, and entertainment industry is notorious for finding such ways in order to skin their performers.)

I don’t know what kind of business you’re considering selling, nor is it any of my business. Whatever level of under-reporting opportunity risk there might be in your line of business needs to be matched in the language of your performance note by a required auditing process sufficient to protect your interest. Skinning the IRS is one thing; skinning you would become very personal. Failure to execute that risk-commensurate level of diligent auditing should have severe consequences — in your favor.

–Dee

Thanks Dee,
    In this situation I am not worried about that particular risk. Thank you for the response.

John

John
    Think you are going to craft this note yourself.

If your selling the business, than you know what the business can produce. I would say stay in by getting your hard costs out as a down payment or “buy-in” and performance base royalties forever. Require quarterly reports and a cpa certified K-1 at the end of each year.

If investopedia knows what they are talking about, a K-1 is strictly for each partner in a partnership. My oujia board suggests the business John wants to sell is NOT a partnership.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/schedule-k-1.asp

–Dee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.