Pocket-size camera drone

Posted in Marketing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    Designed for up to 10 minute flights. Looks like a quick way to do a video of your target house and its neighborhood — with a little practice, of course.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a27057/pocket-sized-camera-drone/

–Dee

How advantageous do you suppose drone footage to be? I’m totally into the idea of flying a drone and seeing the video, but I feel like I want to leave enough curiosity out there to have a conversation with someone. Like I don’t want the presence of drone video to cheat me out of a two-way conversation which might be beneficial to me.

My other thought is that I wouldn’t want to put another learning curve to overcome out there as an obstacle for me to take action. Shiny toys and the gotta-read book are my kryptonite.

Bill, the last thing I’d want to do is to pile on more work for somebody who doesn’t see it as a good fit.

That being said, I know there are a lot of realtors who use such video footage online as bait to draw in people who they might never otherwise be contacted by. Also, I’m thinking that the more unique the property, the more such footage might help. IAW, if the property just looks like one more crackerjack in a very large box full, in a highly generic neighborhood, the aerial footage might be of very little help. That’s on the dullest, least interesting end of the spectrum.

But if the property, and its neighborhood, are much more interesting, unique, beautiful, convenient, feature-filled, etc, etc, then I’m thinking such footage (perhaps via a link in a Craigslist ad to your website with such video) could be a lot more helpful. As always, your mileage may vary. I’m happy to present alternatives and options, but not mandates.

–Dee

Yeah, totally agree with all of your points.

As a software engineer by trade, I love the idea of websites with video and drone footage! If you end up doing this, please post an experience report. I’m curious how easy it is to fly, the quality of video, and the cost. And thereafter, the impact that you estimate that it made on your deal(s).

My neighbor next door (in his 30s) showed us a video of us (!) as taken by his drone through our front door. Creepy. But if you can separate out the creepy feeling, it’s pretty cool to be able to capture that kind of footage and apply it to a profitable end.

Bill, it also occurs to me that in some situations, some good aerial wide-angle, high resolution still photos could serve a useful purpose where video doesn’t work — such as on paper flyers. And that might involve some experimenting with add-on wide angle lenses on a smartphone (which would work with the small drone in that article) or some other camera gear that might need a larger (but probably much less expensive) drone.

And whether one might get the best results by extracting some still shots from a video stream, using a good video editor, OR monitoring a video feed in real time from the ground in order to snap the best stills …. might well require something other than a smartphone. More questions than answers, I know.

I think that article is aimed at one particular niche — somebody who does a lot of such aerial video, for whom the near pocket size is regularly handy. It’s probably not ideal for a beginner to learn on, before deciding how much it will be used, and what kind of camera gear really fits one’s needs. But, it’s a good place to start the conversation.

I’m sure there are some drone enthusiast discussion groups online, with a wealth of experience on how-to issues, including tradeoffs and comparisons of different camera gear. I think that would be an ideal place to begin that exploration.

–Dee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.