Tax Lien list creation

Posted in Marketing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Years ago when I first started buying/selling houses, one of my best lists to mail post cards to was the county delinquent tax liens.

Over the years the counties have made it more difficult to put these together with their attempts to keep owner information private. This year, in the local counties I market to, they only published the tax I.D. number, legal description etc.. No name or address, mailing address.

So I hired a “scraper” from Upwork.com to run the tax I.D. numbers, then pull information from the county to create an Excel sheet of the owner’s name, mailing address, along with the property address.

The scraper charged a few hundred dollars for this service. I’m sure I could have had it done for less money, but was a quick, easy way to create a mailing list for the delinquent tax houses in the county.

Ben

I was told, the counties can not withheld that type of information any longer based upon the “Freedom of Information Act”.

https://www.foia.gov/how-to.html

Nebraska Sample FOIA Request

[Your Name]
    [Street Address]
    [City, ST ZIP Code]

[Date]

[Name of Custodian of Records]
    [Title]
    [Company Name]
    [Street Address]
    [City, ST ZIP Code]

Dear [custodian of records]:

Under the Nebraska Public Records Law § 84-712 et seq., I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of public records that [Describe the records or information sought with enough detail for the public agency to respond. Be as specific as your knowledge of the available records will allow. But it is more important to describe the information you are seeking.]

If there are any fees for searching or copying these records, please inform me if the cost will exceed $______. However, I would also like to request a waiver of all fees in that the disclosure of the requested information is in the public interest and will contribute significantly to the public’s understanding of ___________ [Here, you can identify yourself as a representative of the news media if applicable and state that your request is related to news gathering purposes.] This information is not being sought for commercial purposes.

The Nebraska Public Records Law requires a response time of four business days. If access to the records I am requesting will take longer than this amount of time, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.

If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

[Your Phone number]

I hired a programmer to scrap the county tax records for any owners who owned more than 2 properties for more than 15 years..

My objective in getting this list was to target landlords with multiple properties with equity who may want to sell with seller financing or do a master lease. If the properties are in poor condition, I’d try to get an option then do a Magic Bus (wholesale a lot of houses in one day).

Most old time landlords either hold property in their own name or in one corporation. Crazy! But that’s what they do. Apparently they never heard of Jack Miller and Land Trusts!!

Do you still you that program?

Hi Hugh,

I should have clarified…………. I can “manually” look up the owner information with the tax id number, but would take a long time for a list of hundreds or thousands. Having a “scraper” just takes writing a check and its done.

Thank you,
    Ben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.