Why before doing a deal, you should ask the owner for a CLUE report

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    It will at least tell you what home insurance issues, if any, were reported to any insurers on that property in the last SEVEN years, and what the disposition of such claims was. It could reveal no reported troublesome history at all, or maybe some, or a lot. Only the property owner can request this report.

http://www.wisebread.com/why-you-should-ask-for-a-clue-report-before-buying-a-home

–Dee

Not sure if they are CLUE reports exactly, but I’ve asked for claim reports for properties I’ve considered buying from my insurance agent and he has happily pulled them for me. They can give me the score the insurer uses on a property and let’s me know if there were any major claims. My agent just pulls it up and lets me know over the phone. I suggest getting on a first name basis with your agent.

Kathleen, this gets very interesting. The article mentions that “The CLUE report lists the dates when claims were made, the type of loss that a home suffered, and the amount that the insurance company paid out. The CLUE report also lists when insurers deny homeowners’ claims.” It also lists some reasonable credentials for the author: Financial writer for Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, and BusinessWeek.

Does the phone report you get from your insurance agent provide all of the information as described above, or just some parts of it? Catching that seemingly experienced writer & researcher in a significant oversight could be of some benefit to us.

–Dee

My agent just lets me know if there have been any major claims- they don’t get too detailed. It’s a nice thing to have though especially when dealing with a non owner occupant.

Kathleen, thank you for that clarification. So then if we need just a quickie report, an insurance agent might be sufficient. If we need the detailed CLUE report, we have to ask the owner on title to request that.

That’s a more complete picture than what the reporter provided.

–Dee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.