Health Savings Account: How does this work with real estate investing?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hi all, I’m enrolling in my company benefits and I’m trying to figure out how much I should contribute to my HSA annually. I was on a webinar the other day about investing with your IRA and they briefly mentioned that you can use your HSA to invest. How does that work especially if investing in real estate isn’t medically related?

Hi Avegail –

In a nutshell, when you use the HSA account to invest in real estate, any proceeds from the real estate investment go back to the HSA account so it will grow. There’s a lot more than that obviously but under the Premium Training section here in the website there’s also training that I am pretty sure touches on this subject.

You can also go to youtube and do a search for “IRA real estate HSA” or something like that and you will find some pretty good videos that will help you understand this concept better.

There are also many IRA companies out there that offer free webinars and training videos all the time that are very helpful. You don’t have to open an account with them or anything like that if you don’t want to but it is an easy way to at least get a better understanding.

Hope this helps.
    Rafael

Also understand that if you decide to shut down your HSA or any other IRA type account, there is a huge penalty and tax ( like 30%). So think twice, think three times, before jumping in to setting up one of these kinds of accounts. Make sure you know the pros and the cons too.

I learned late in the game about HSA accounts, only two years to contribute for me. And the beautiful thing about an HSA there is never any tax implications. As long as you use the money for your health, please anyone correct me if I’m wrong.

I only wish I started 10 or 15 years ago because my understanding is that the HSA is like a super IRA and there are no taxes that can be taken from it!

DanButler

Dan,

Good post.

I have my HSA with Advanta. At 62, we’re keeping all it’s funds invested and the account growing.

Bill Cook
    770-815-8727

I learned late, if I had learned earlier I probably could have saved thousands of dollars it would have been tax free, it is a super IRA and regardless where are you invest the money be at your IRA, the HSA you don’t and won’t have to pay taxes on unless you use it incorrectly.

Anyone who is young enough should always use it 🙂

Dan Butler

I learned late, if I had learned earlier I probably could have saved thousands of dollars it would have been tax free, it is a super IRA and regardless where are you invest the money be at your IRA, the HSA you don’t and won’t have to pay taxes on unless you use it incorrectly.

Anyone who is young enough should always use it 🙂

Dan Butler

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.